GMRT Visit 2017
Although GMRT will be a very versatile instrument for investigating a variety of radio astrophysical problems ranging from our nearby Solar system to the edge of the observable Universe, two of its most important astrophysical objectives are:
NCRA has set up a unique facility for radio astronomical research using the metrewavelengths range of the radio spectrum, known as the Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT), it is located at a site about 80 km north of Pune. GMRT consists of 30 fully steerable gigantic parabolic dishes of 45m diameter each spread over distances of upto 25 km. GMRT is one of the most challenging experimental programmes in basic sciences undertaken by Indian scientists and engineers.
The visit was planned on 19 & 20th March 2015 to Konkan sightseeing spots like Murud beach, Harihareshwar temple, Diveagar beach and Raigad fort for Final year students.
Murud is known for its calm and sandy beach. We enjoyed water sports activities over there.
Harihareshwar temple is surrounded by three hills named Harihareshwar, Harshinachal and Pushpadri. The river Savitri enters the Arabian Sea from the town of Harihareshwar.
Diveagar: The beach contains a number of suru trees (Casuarina), which are common to coastal Maharashtra. The access to the beach has a dense cover of belu trees, which are otherwise uncommon in the area.
Raigad : The fort, which rises 820 metres (2,700 ft) above sea level, is located in the Sahyadri mountain range. There are approximately 1737 steps leading to the fort.
The students of TE-Comp had visited the event and attended the following sessions on the day.
1. Students roamed the IIT campus and located different departments and research centers of various departments and had a photo shoot in front of Department of Computer Engineering.
2. Students visited different sections and observed the workings of different models set by DRDO, the car and the formula race vehicle designed by IIT students.
3. A group of students attended the speech delivered by Kiran Bedi, the first Woman IAS Officer at 1:30 pm.
4. A group of students attended a talk by Asa Dotzler, Developer of Firefox at 3:30 pm who explained different stages of Mozilla Firefox web browser development.
5. A group of students joined the Technical Quiz held in the department of Electrical Engineering.